Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Story of Faith Cottage

Just over three years ago we were blessed with Faith Cottage, so named because she was a leap of faith.
We discovered this little gem more than ten years ago when we stopped for a yard sale.
Historic homes in our town were EXTREMELY expensive so we were always on the look-out for a fixer-upper or the ever elusive 'deal.'
After ten years of searching we finally realized that a historic home was impossible.
Don't get me wrong, the house in which we lived was beautiful in a lovely neighborhood:).
And so the search stopped.
But God had other plans, after all, He never said it was impossible.
Faith Cottage finally went on the market at an astronomical price ending our hopes of ever living there. She stayed on the market for two years with several changes in real estate agents and price reductions. Still she was beyond our means.
Every time I drove past I was always relieved to see the sale sign still there, as if some miracle would happen and she would be ours.
One December night I had one of those dreams that was so real I was disoriented when I finally awoke. The dream was one that I truly wanted-we were living in the little Victorian house we had stalked (yes this would be an accurate description) for years. Heart broken I reminded myself that our house was truly a blessing and I had no right to be disappointed.
What I did not know at the time was it wasn't a dream, it was a vision. God was letting me know that it would be our home, just not yet.
A few months later I contacted the real estate agent, a very old friend of ours. I only called out of curiosity and before I knew it we were looking at the house.
Four weeks later she was ours.
And so the lesson was well learned,
nothing is impossible with God.
And so the name Faith Cottage was given because she was definitely a leap of faith!
A cozy chair for tea in the parlor of Faith Cottage, an 1890 Victorian home.

Crystal prisms and lace add beauty and sparkle.

Flowers are a must in Victorian homes,
even the silk kind:).

Victorians loved to display their collections.
Imari and Royal Derby patterns are a favorite in our house.

Faith Cottage's original fireplace was long gone so we added an antique mantel ($35 thrift shop find).
We painted the inside black and added fireplace accoutrements to make it look as if it had always been there.
 
Vignettes of porcelain add a delicate touch to a horse sculpture

Antique books are always a treasure.

Victorian décor can be masculine too.

Displaying a collection of antique combs and feathers in a silver vase.

A lacey view to the porch.

View just beyond the transom window.

Faith Cottage gardens in full bloom.

A welcoming door bedecked with fretwork.

Fretwork details on the porch.

Raindrops from the storm the night before.

The rain makes the garden grow.

Front porch at Faith Cottage.

Lace curtains allow the sunshine to filter in.

Even the dogs enjoy this sunny summer morning before the heat of day sets in.

SQUIRREL!!!

Flowers in front of the fireplace for summer.
 
Roses are a Victorian favorite.

A lovely thrift store find at $3.
Beauty doesn't have to cost a fortune:).

I love lace!

Guest bedroom view to the gardens beyond.

A nice way to create privacy in a bathroom window.

The man cave also doubles as the library.
 
Man cave vignettes...

OK, I had to put something of mine in the man cave!
Brown and white transferware seemed a good choice.
 
Thanks for sharing a morning at Faith Cottage.
May you all have a blessed day and remember to always keep the faith!!!
 



7 comments:

  1. Your Home is BEAUTIFUL ! God is always full of surprises and blessings. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling Kim....

    I am intrigued with the beauty of your message here. Faith is a concept, a reality that is invisible until we go out and tread on it. When we do, who knows what can happen! And to think that God gives us Faith, Hope and Love to work through in this life. GLorious is your home, so precious with all the details that make you smile. I understand; we have a sweet brick cottage that we bought 18 years ago and worked to make it just so, the way we enjoy living. And through hard work, we have it, are enjoying it and all to the glory of God's life lessons for us.

    ENJOY this special summer day and thank you for visiting! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is truly a beauty Kim! Your Faith Cottage is right where you belong my dear and I'm so glad you waited on God for the gift!
    Every photo as treat for me to see today.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kim, The Lord does minister to us through dreams. Yours was precious. It has done my heart good to read about the vision. Your home is lovely. Truly lovely and your decorating touch wonderful.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I loved my tour,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim,
    Oh what a neat story on acquiring Faith Cottage! It's lovely! God is good isn't he? I thoroughly enjoyed every photo. So glad you're back, there's not too many of us Victorian buffs left (or at least they don't blog, or I haven't found them).
    Have a great weekend!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim- Thank you for sharing the story of Faith Cottage. It has given me hope. I have dreamed of owning a victorin home, one in paticular in my hometown, for years. It was for sale recently and of course it did not work out for me to buy. But I need to learn patience and realize that maybe God is not saying no to me, but not yet. I do own a very nice house and I think I need to thank God more for allowing me to have it and learn to enjoy living where I am.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim,

    How lovely to see a post from you dear friend and thanks for visiting me. So glad to spend a little time visiting you and your gorgeous house. Everything looks so charming and it is the style I love too. Hope all is well with you.

    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete