Thursday, December 15, 2016

Small Town Bliss

Clouds paraded across the sky as I set out for my run through town this evening. Beaufort is one of those magical places that calms the soul and makes the heart sing. 
Before we moved back here in '99, I frequented Beaufort every few weeks to get my 'fix.' I had resided in NC for a decade, crying nearly every day for want of my coastal home. When visiting the Lowcountry, I stayed at the Old Point Inn on New Street, an 1898 Victorian mansion. Never had I felt more at home than in this house. Heart pine floors, a grand staircase, and sprawling double verandahs evoked a sense of peace and sanctuary I'd never experienced anywhere before. 
One of my favorite memories is lounging in the wicker rocker on the verandah as an evening rain pitter pattered a rhythmic lullaby. Light from the street lamp pierced the moss draped branches of a nearby crepe myrtle sending graceful shadows across the gardens.
As much as I enjoyed the tranquil ambience of the Inn's porch, I longed to have a home of my own in the historic district. But this was merely a dream as we didn't live here at the time. Still, I held that passion in my heart with hopes that dreams could come true.
Fifteen years would pass before the Lord blessed us with Faith Cottage, a small 1890s Victorian. I have treasured our years in this modest, yet capacious, abode. 
After my run as this evening, I perched upon the wicker settee as a long forgotten memory infiltrated my soul. Rain tiptoed along the roof line in a rhythmic cadence lulling me into a state of repose. The soft cascade of raindrops amidst the shadowy light of street lamps peeking through the crepe myrtle in our front yard transported me back to the evenings on the verandah of the Old Point Inn. This evening's sites, sounds, and visions were the same as those experienced nearly twenty years prior. What a blessing to be able to relax on the front porch of our century old cottage whilst serenaded by a peaceful winter rain shower.
Never lose site of your passions or your dreams.
 

Blessings from The Parlor:)!

No comments:

Post a Comment