Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Before & After Bonnets and Hats!

                     At the reenactment at Boone Hall Saturday I purchased a lovely spoon bonnet.
Spoon bonnets were very popular during the Victorian era.

This bonnet was handmade by a sutler from Ohio.
I really liked all of the details the maker put into this bonnet so I splurged and made the purchase.

I especially liked the brown and black colors.
However,
 bonnets were generally trimmed heavily with lace, flowers, and feathers.

  So I trimmed my new bonnet with flowers, feathers,

 and vintage lace.

 Several months ago I purchased a vintage hat from Carlotta
at the Lakewood 400 antique fair in Atlanta.

 It had just the right shape and with a little embellishing...

 it could look like the hats worn during the Victorian era. 

 A little velvet ribbon and antique feathers and 'voila', a Victorian style hat:).
Of course, you can't truly appreciate a bonnet or hat unless you see it on.

So I enlisted the help of Calvin who was kind enough to model the spoon bonnet...

 and Kasey who looks stunning in this feathered hat:).

Below are actual photos of spoon bonnets and a Victorian hat.
Pictures are from the book
"Vintage Hats & Bonnets 1770-1970"
by Susan Langley
Photos by John Dowling

7 comments:

  1. Lovely bonnets! What treasures you found. I like them newly trimmed as well; very fancy!
    I have some old hats, but they are from the 1930s and 1940s. If I found a really nice Victorian bonnett I think I'd swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old hats... Do you display them in your Home? I have several displayed in my home from different eras... Are you thinking of the holidays yet? I bet Kramer has a few plans...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gang look smashing in the bonnets. They certainly are lovely.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you embellished your new bonnets and hats. It's so interesting that these bonnets were decorated on the INSIDE, near the face. Are spoon bonnets from the Civil War era? I'm not too familiar with hats from the early to mid 1800's.

    Your doggies look like they are going somewhere for tea!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bonnets are lovely and so glad you have shared these pics with us!
    A joy to see such pretty hat wear.

    May you have a pleasant Thanksgiving Day this year.

    I can't hardly believe it's this time of year already.

    Takes me by surprise.
    God bless,
    d from homehaven

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are wonderful! I went to the Lakewood 400 Fair today and saw Carlotta. I took lots of pictures of her booth and will be posting them later this week. I finally bought the small painting I had been admiring for the past couple of months.

    Kasey and Calvin are so understanding for posing for you. They deserve a treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kasey and Calvin, WHY do we let them do this to us?!? Oh yeah, it's all about the treats. Ah well, one must do what one must do, yes? And while you both look lovely, I mean handsome....er....what would I use to describe since these are ladies hats and well you are boys. I think.....Hmmmm. Well, no matter girls AND boys get treats if they wear hats right!!!

    ReplyDelete